Current Region of Travel: Antarctica

Current Region of Travel: Antarctica

June 21, 2005

Salzburg at Sunset

Salzburg surprised me with its quaint atmosphere, quiet streets, and beautiful vistas. To be honest, I hadn't even intended on stopping there. I'm not a big Mozart fan and I may be the only man on earth who still hasn't seen The Sound of Music, though my understanding is that the hills are alive with it. Sounds terrifying. Having missed the last train to Germany, I was lucky enough to catch a beauteous sunset and spend an evening exploring this little burg. Wandering the streets at dusk I felt completely at ease. Salzburg felt very safe, like a motherly embrace, or your finger on the trigger of that snub-nosed .38 in your purse. I strolled through the perfectly manicured Mirabell Gardens with an exquisite view of the Hohensalzburg Fortress, passed by the marvelous Mozart platz, and parked myself in front of the Salzburg Cathedral. And I took tons of pictures, until they caught me and I got kicked out of the women's locker room at the local gym. Gosh, those women are bashful. I was really taken aback by the architecture. At sunset, the skyline was magnificent. As a budding wordsmith you might think I would have the vocabulary to describe this scene. Not so. My knowledge of architectural terms is right up there with my ability to juggle flaming daggers. As such, I will revert to infantile and obscentity laden gutter speak. Let's just say the buildings were fucking awesome. And you know that big, blue, thingamajig at the top of that column? That was one bad-ass mamma-jamma. Though I only got to spend a single evening there it was a glorious one.

No comments:

Post a Comment