Current Region of Travel: Antarctica

Current Region of Travel: Antarctica

July 1, 2005

Your Friets Are In My Stoofvle

Bruge, Belgium. I skipped Brussels in favor of this lazy, compact hamlet and I have not a moments regret. Cobbled streets, dazzling architecture, and stunning town squares made for an exquisite visit and a silly rhyme. Old buildings aside, Bruge was a gastronomic wonderland. I gorged on sugared Belgium waffles, which, strangely, are eaten with the hands while standing. I sampled the oddest of flavored chocolates: lavender, which tasted like a bar of chocolate soap; lemongrass, a bit of an earthen taste; chili, which had a spicy kick to it; and finally, tobacco, which tasted about as good as it sounds. Maybe I was supposed to smoke it. Call me old fashioned but I like my chocolates chocolate-flavored. Another Bruge delight are friets (fries). You can get them at stands and stores all over the city. Cooked fresh while you wait, these salty, mouth-watering snacks are traditionally served with gobs of mayonnaise. I preferred mine with stoofvlees, a chunky meat stew that's similar to stroganoff. It's your basic meat and potatoes dish but every last ounce of nutritional value has been fried out of it. Yummy. As penance for my indulgences I once again rented a bike and toured around the countryside. I rolled through small towns, past cows, farms, and the obligatory old churches. It was a mellow break before the hedonistic orgy that was soon to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment