Current Region of Travel: Antarctica

Current Region of Travel: Antarctica

July 15, 2005

Have You Driven a Fjord, Lately?

So, like most people, the first thing I noticed about Norway is that nothing rhymes with fjord. The second thing I noticed was it's unspolit splendor. If a massive earthquake shook the earth, fracturing our beloved United States, and everything west of the Rockies fell into the sea, drowning millions of men, women, and children you may begin to approximate the beauty of coastal Norway - without any of the gratuitous death and destruction. The rugged coast is chock full of majestic fjords, wind-swept isles, and quaint, rustic towns. On my way to the coast I spent exactly four minutes in Hell. Once again, we have been lied to. Hell, as it turns out, is only an express train away from Oslo. No service I ever attended described Hell as being surrounded by some of most pristine forests and glacier-carved ravines on the planet. Had I known this, I would have gladly gone to Hell a long time ago. And I suggest you all do the same. After taking a the most scenic train of my life from Dombas to ?ndalsnes - which curved down a massive gorge teaming with countless waterfalls - I hopped a quick bus to the coastal town of ?lesund. ??Note: I'm going to have to cut this short because I am out of time.?? There I met an Englishman named Chris who I hiked around with for a day. We wandered along the rugged coast and ended up in this woman's backyard by mistake. She caught us red handed and we sheepishly (and not too honestly) claimed we were lost. The following day I headed down to the small town of Gerainger via the Gerainger Fjord cruise. Cruising through the giant fjord was an amazing experience. The day was perfect and I got a million pictures. The town itself was lovely, and I got in some seriously good hiking to the most amazing waterfalls I have ever seen up close. I even got to hike behind one. Well, my time is up! I have to run!

No comments:

Post a Comment